Thursday, July 24, 2008

Comic Sans is the Ugliest Font Ever

It's possible that you're being arrogant and thinking 'has she REALLY seen all the fonts ever?' - the answer is 'shut up.' Of course I haven't. But of the many, many fonts that I have seen I can say that this is the one that disgusts me the most.

Sure, disgust is a big word. I loathe and abhor this font. It is FOUL. There is no place for this font in my heart. I drove past a school (a school!) that had their school sign printed IN COMIC SANS. What is this fucking world coming to?!

If you're not familiar with Comic Sans (have you been living under a rock?) then here's a picture of the disgustingness of it:

Gross, right?
Here's some background on it:
It was unleashed on an unsuspecting public by Vincent Connare, upon noticing that Times New Roman was being used as a font in a Microsoft children's program (MS Bob, anyone?). Realising there was (cough) no other font suitable for a program for kids, Vincent decided to invent this pile'o'garbage. Unfortunately, Microsoft liked it and included it as a font in Windows 95. Equally as unfortunate is that it was well liked by the aforementioned unsuspecting (now read: idiot) public and they decided to use it for completely inappropriate things such as entire documents and signage. Fools.
Vincent Connare says his inspiration came from the shock of seeing Times New Roman used so inappropriately in a children's program, and says that he designed the font based on fonts he saw in comic books. I much prefer the fonts used in comic books, and I firmly believe that he is insulting comic book font. Comic Sans is poorly formed and looks unbalanced, unprofessional and should definitely be abolished.
I personally refuse to do business with any restaurant foolish enough to use Comic Sans on their menu, or any shop stupid enough to use it in signage. I advise you to do the same.

No comments: